Thursday, April 09, 2020

Mixpack Review 4: North Coast Brewing Co. Scrimshaw


Beer company: North Coast Brewing Co.
Name of beer: Scrimshaw (Pilsner style)
ABV: 4.5%
Origin: Fort Bragg, California
Founded by: Mark Ruedrich, Tom Allen and Doug Moody
Bought out by: n/a

Beauty of Pour: 7 out of 10. Looks like a properly carbonated Budweiser.

Odor: 5 out of 10. Smells like a cheap American lager with hops and sugar dumped in it.

Carbonation: 13 out of 15. The bubbles are throughout, lively but not foamy. They done good on this, son.

Mouthfeel: 10 out of 15. It comes on a little strong. The bubbles punch the tongue hard, which disguises the rest of the beer for quite a while. If I hold it for about 30 seconds then the hops take over. I'm not doing this on every drink, this is too much work.

Flavor: 35 out of 50. It's an acceptable pilsner, sometimes the flavor leans more pale ale than I would like, which is fine, but not the best.

Complete score: 70 out of 100. If I were to a mow a yard on a hot day or play wiffle ball, this is not the first beer I'd reach for, and that is kinda what I want out of a pilsner.

No comments: