Thursday, April 01, 2010

Hop Rhizomes


I just received an email from STL Beer and Wine for Rhizome orders. Obviously I cannot grow any where I am living right now, but I was wondering if Irish Rover or Derbrauer would want me to buy a different variety that we do not currently have and grow them at either of your two properties? Just an idea, let me know. Below is what was sent to me. The format sent to me was not great, but you can make sense of it.

Hops

Description

Yield

%AA

Brewers Gold

Sister to Bullion, ancestor to most major high alpha varieties. Poor storage after harvest.

High

8-10%

Cascade

Floral American aroma type.

High

5-8%

Centennial

Similar to Cascade with more alpha, can be a fussy grower.

Moderate

8-11%

Galena

Brewers Gold hybrid. Good storage. Some mildew problems.

High

11-13%

Kent Golding

English aroma type.

Moderate

4-6%

Magnum

German Hallertauer hybrid, high alpha, good storage stability.

Very Good

12-17%

Mt. Hood

Hallertauer triploid hybrid. Good vigor, half-sister to Ultra, Liberty & Crystal.

Good

4-6%

Newport

New alpha acid variety, good growth habit, good yield, disease resistant.

Good

9-17%

N. Brewer

Low yield, moderate vigor, resistant to Verticillium wilt, susceptible to  powdery mildew.

Low

7-11%

Nugget

High alpha, vigorous disease resistance.

High

12-15%

Sterling

Saaz Hybrid, aroma and oil composition very similar.

Good

6-9

Willamette

Triploid hybrid of English Fuggle.

Moderate

5-6






-Matuz

4 comments:

Der Brauer said...

That would work out fine to plant them at my farm. As far as varieties... off hand I'm pretty sure I ordered Fuggles, Wilamette, and Tettnanger. I will have to double check on that because I kept switching it around before I ordered.

Irish Rover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Irish Rover said...

I wouldn't mind planting nugget and/or Sterling. The important thing is planting variety. The sooner the better, especially with this nice weather.

Matuz said...

Sterling and Nugget have been bought. They will be arriving in mid-April.