Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May Update by Matuz

A couple of quick updates from Matuz’s side of the world.

  1.   Hops are still growing very slowly.  I cut off a bine of the Sterling that looked extra weak, leaving one bine to grow.  My hopes is that it is not going to have to compete with the other bine anymore.  Some days it looks worse than others.  For example, on Sunday it could barely hold onto the twine, but Monday, it straightened up and looked stronger.  Hopefully the roots are just working their way through the tougher soil….
  2. Blackberries are for sure growing.  5 of the 6 are still below 6 inches, but they are getting bigger.  The biggest, is already blooming with a few flowers.
  3. The Rye ale, taste like rye bread….enough said.
  4. Broken Treaty….well if I may borrow a few words from Der Brauer, “If it ain’t Broken, don’t drink it.”  A taste test between the kegged and the bottled is in order.


That is all I really have right now.  I have been reading my new book I mentioned before, The Principles of Brewing Science.  It is not for someone who has NO chemistry what so ever, but definitely anyone with a high school chemistry class under their belt should be able to get through it.  I will post my thoughts on it once I finish reading.

Cheers!
-Matuz

No comments: