Friday, June 03, 2011

Farm Trip

Yesterday I made a trip up to the farm. My dad and brother helped me set up a few things concerning growing stuff to make alcohol. (after we assassinated some squirrels of course)

We set up the drip irrigation systems for both hop trellises but I need a 9 volt battery for one of the timers so that won't be up and running until next week. The other bad thing is that there is no rain in the forecast for the next two weeks and its suppose to be up into the 90's. Right now the barrels have no rain in them.


I pruned the hops and added fresh straw over the beds. They look very nice and some of the first year hops (Tettnang, Fuggle, and a rhizome divided Golding are all starting to go).


We were also able to set up some cedar posts that will eventually be the anchors for the grape vine trellises. The grapes vines keep getting stronger but 2 of the vines have died. Luckily the 2 that died are from my group of 5 so I still have 3 growing vines of each kind (Niagra, Vidal Blanc,and Catabwa)










The barley is very interesting but also doing well. I planted some winter barley not knowing exactly what kind it was. It was sort of an experiment but it is coming up very well. I don't think we can use it because it is not 2-row.

Fortunately the barley from last year that didn't come up well is growing again on its own and is already taller and had bigger heads than last year.
On top of all of that, I also have the legit 2-row Merit barley (specifically for brewing) that I bought this year and planted about a week ago. It is starting to sprout and looking very good. If everything continues the way that it has this year, it should be our first real successful year for barley (100+ lbs.?)

Overall, everything is really growing well, hopefully this hot dry weather doesn't hurt anything.

Cheers, Der Brauer

No comments: