Sunday, June 12, 2011

New Hop Bines and Blackberries

Just wanted to post a few pictures I took today of my hops and blackberry bushes.  As I have said before, my hops have been kind of lacking in growth.  My Nugget just stopped growing, but the leaves were big and green. The Sterling quit growing, started to wilt, but some days it looked like it was coming back.  Both have begun new growth this past week.  Two new bines came out of the mulch from the Sterling, which I will tie to the rope, and new leaves have sprouted from both the Nugget and Sterling along with vertical growth in the Nugget.  All is well it seems.
New vertical growth on the Nugget

Two new bines coming out of the Sterling.  One in front and one in back.

Upclose of Sterling new growth.

You can see the different colors of green.  The new growth is lighter.  The old wilting growth is dark green.




    The blackberries are doing very well.  I am still looking for the proper wire for the trellis system.  Lowes did not have it, I may need to look at a contractors store.  Berries are growing and green.  See below.

Tripled in size since it was planted.



Flowers and berries about to bloom.



Largest bush so far....it direly needs a trellis.


That is all for now.
-Matuz-



No comments: